Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Preparing to Pray with Compassion

Compassion International is not a global feeding program. It is focused on holistic development of children through local church communities. In their words: Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.

Children are often fed at the Compassion centers but that is not their only focus. So when a famine or food crisis occurs in various countries, the Compassion children are not immune from that problem. Here is some more information about the current crisis:

How has the global food crisis affected Compassion families?
The global food crisis is forcing poor families to spend more of their household budgets on food, leaving little for anything else. In Bangladesh more than 90 percent of the 12,179 children we serve in 82 Compassion-assisted centers are affected. Many children are eating only at the church-based center. Compassion Haiti estimates it will need at least $2 million and up to $6 million to feed the 60,000 registered children and their families over the next few months.

What can I do to help fight the global food crisis?
Join Compassion's Day of Prayer and Fasting on June 25, 2008. This is the day we will honor the victims of the global food crisis and pray for them.

Along with praying and fasting consider giving to Compassion's Global Food Crisis Fund. Your gift will help provide:
1. food vouchers to children and families needing immediate relief.
2. seeds and agricultural tools so that families can grow their own food as well as earn extra income.
3. supplemental nutrition services offered at Compassion-assisted centers around the world.

More from Cinde:
Yesterday, I threw away some leftovers that had lived in the refrigerator past their safety of consumption date: macaroni salad, wilted lettuce, bbq brisket, watery sour cream. I used to think nothing of it - I simply wanted a clean refrigerator - but lately the Lord has been bringing to my heart the reality that I just threw away more than some might have eaten in an entire day or days. I know I can't package up the near rotten food and send it to Haiti - but I can be a more careful steward with my grocery money and a little more forceful at getting my kids to eat leftovers instead of wasting them. And in doing that, there will be more resources available in my checkbook to help a child someplace else whose stomach is growling at this very moment.

1 comment:

The Henrie Family said...

Hey Cinde,

I sent you a few stocking earlier this year or possibly at the end of 2007. Anyways, I wanted to touch base with you and find out if you have made any progress on them and when you plan on completeling them so I can prepare to make my final payment with you at that time. I am in no hurry since Christmas is a few months away. I just wanted to check in with you.
Thanks, Malissa
mshenrie@tx.rr.com