Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Oh Look! A Post About Sewing...

Since the beginning of my sewing experience/career, I've been blessed with many opportunities, awards, privileges, and successes. I've accumulated ribbons and trophies and had my work featured on a national television show (Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman). I have made wedding garments that had mothers and brides in tears because they were so thrilled. And I am, currently, about to start a new project that has me absolutely twitterpated. BUT as I think about all this today, something in my spirit just resonates with the apostle Paul, and I count it all as worthless in order that I may know Christ. I am grateful that He allows me plenty of failures and frustrations in the mix with all the successes. Opportunities for humility. The outfit that I can never get to fit exactly right. Getting a report that a bride struggled with a bustle I did on her gown. The opportunity to serve an elderly woman who I have to dress and undress in order to fit the clothes to her.

We all struggle with the fine line between being excited about a blessing and being prideful about that blessing. The Lord has been reminding me of that lately...lest I begin to think that I'm "all that and a bag of chips". And I guess I'd rather have Him remind me gently and have my heart respond than for Him to remind me with a 2 x 4! Because as a dear Bible teacher always says (I'll let you guess who!): "You can bend the knee or He can break your legs, but either way you're going down!"

So actually, I lied. This isn't a post about sewing at all, but rather one about pride. I just needed to be reminded again today...

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you out of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way.
I cheat you out of contentment...because "you deserve better than this."
I cheat you out of knowledge...because you already know it all.
I cheat you out of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you out of holiness...because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you out of vision...because you'd rather look in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I am always looking out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know.

~Beth Moore - "Praying God's Word"

No comments: